Location: London, Durham or Glasgow + Travel
Department: Business Consulting
Contract Type: Permanent / Full Time
Salary: £35-60k pa DoE + Benefits
Job reference: 25/2021
We’re on a mission to help our customers build a better business. We have offices in the UK and Australia as well as a team of people who work across the globe to provide unique business solutions, service and support that directly adds value to our client’s business.
About the Business Consultant- Education role
You will be an integral part of a small, ambitious team that are looking to grow sustainably but quickly. If you’re passionate about creatively solving business problems, have a desire to build something sustainable and exciting, want to work with diverse groups of people and skillsets, then we would love to hear from you. The Business Consulting team works across a wide variety of business sectors including, for example, manufacturing and engineering, distribution and transport, housing, higher education, engineering and charities. Whilst you would work on all sectors, we would like this role to have a particular focus on the Higher Education sector as this is a key and growing area for us.
You won’t ever just be doing one thing and so the role description is deliberately broad. Our strength comes from the diverse backgrounds and interests we have, challenging the accepted wisdom and adding real value through every client interaction.
You will be based in the UK within travelling distance of one of our offices in London, Durham or Glasgow.
Responsibilities for the Business Consultant- Education
- Apply both business and technology know-how to solving client problems relating to strategy, culture, change management, digital technology, systems, building business cases and innovation.
- Building strong and lasting relationships with clients and helping them succeed.
- We don’t have salespeople and so you’ll use your Higher Education knowledge to network, write thought leadership and seek out new business for both the business consulting team and the wider business.
- Client management, ensuring client relationships, customer satisfaction and the service delivery are at the highest level. This includes writing and reviewing sales proposals, tender responses and leading high-value bids as appropriate.
- Leading and delivering projects both within Universities and other clients with contributions from both the Business Consulting team and from across other service teams.
- You’ll be happy to impart your knowledge; increasing awareness of and generating interest in Waterstons.
- We are a small but growing team, who work closely together. You’ll be comfortable mentoring and guiding more junior staff.
Ideal profile for the Business Consultant- Education
We really value diversity, sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we are looking for, do apply!
- You will have demonstrable experience of working in a Higher Education setting.
- You might not already be a Consultant, you could currently be working in a University, possibly in an strategic planning department, transformation or change office, or within a broad IT role. You’ll be able to demonstrate how you can use your experience to date to transfer into a consulting role.
- A people person, you’ll be looking forward to getting back out to meeting people once it is safe to do so.
- Having a passion for Higher Education and want to use that passion to grow business in this area for Waterstons.
- You’ve applied technology to solve problems but you’ll understand that far more than technology is needed to make a solution stick. You don’t need to be a technologist to do this role well, but an appreciation of technology and the ability to interact with IT professionals is essential.
- You’ll have wide experience of delivering transformation within organisations
- You’ll be happy to talk confidently with people but also and more importantly listen, challenge and build rapport.
- You won’t be afraid of the limelight and will be happy to present to clients, deliver training, webinars and face-to-face events on a range of business consulting topics.
- You’ll get enjoyment from learning new things and be comfortable not always being the smartest person in the room. You’ll seek to keep your knowledge up-to-date with the latest business thinking and sector trends.
- You’ll be outgoing and enjoy creating solutions to problems. Enjoy working closely with others and be happy to lead.
- You’ll have experience and expertise in the Higher Education including a strong network of education contacts. You will be able to bring this knowledge to discussions with clients and prospects.
As a Business Consultant- Education, you will build relationships with prospective and active clients across the business and act as their trusted advisor; helping them to win and secure business through the use of your marketing services and our technology.
If you enjoy a varied environment, sharing your knowledge and experience to support, coach and mentor your colleagues, then we want to hear from you.
Your progression is important to us and your career path is up to you. We commit to invest in our people and reward you for your commitment and effort.
This role can be based in either London, Durham or Glasgow and will require travel to client sites. Currently we’re utilising technology to work remotely and continue our great work.
Waterstons are proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer, committed to drive forward diversity and inclusion & determined to speak up against discrimination.
Waterstons will make any reason adjustments if you have a disability or special needs.
Waterstons are gathering the data in this application for the purpose of recruitment and to ensure we can contact you regarding this application. For information about what we do with your personal data see our Privacy Notice.