We’re on a mission to help our customers build a better business. We have offices in the UK and Australia as well as a team of people who work across the globe to provide unique business solutions, service and support that directly adds value to our client’s business.
Our clients tell us our people are our greatest strength, and who are we to disagree? We believe in our colleagues, and we make it a priority to reward their hard work. Unlimited holidays, supported development and private medical healthcare. These are only some of the amazing things we offer.
About the Role
We’re looking for an inquisitive and experienced senior business consultant who can quickly establish rapport with a wide range of clients, diagnose the root causes of challenges they face, and work effectively in a small team to design appropriate, imaginative and realistic solutions – whether technological, organisational or procedural – to grow the client’s value.
You’ll be working with a team that works flexibly, with offices in Durham and Glasgow. There’s an expectation that you’ll travel to work with clients (averaging one working day a fortnight).
Day to day responsibilities
- This is a senior consulting role, and as such you’ll typically be the lead for delivering results on one or more client projects, normally in a 4 week to 6 month timeline. You’ll be guided by a practice lead or executive consultant, who will help you form a cross-functional team from across Waterstons to deliver the required outcomes. We don’t expect you to know everything yourself, but we do expect you to consider every angle of a problem and find an appropriate person to assist and advise you.
- Lead and facilitate workshops with diverse clients to understand their business challenges.
- Conduct analysis to diagnose and quantify root causes from symptoms. Reach out across Waterstons and your wider network to improve this analysis.
- Mentor, support and develop more junior members of the business consulting and wider Waterstons team.
Some of the skills we are looking for
- A blend of tech and generalist consulting skills, with at least three years’ recent experience working as a consultant, a business analyst or in a similar role that you can demonstrate required you to understand and recommend solutions to problems.
- The ability to communicate in language appropriate to diverse audiences, whether strategic, operational, technological or business-focused, and to be able to tailor your message to the audience.
- An inquisitive mind, and a deep interest in seeing past symptoms to the root causes of problems.
- Experience of designing recommendations to solve complex business problems.
- A team player: someone who can take responsibility, deliver results, assist and support colleagues, and who’s great to work with.
- Excellent customer service values: you will prioritise the preferences and needs of the client, and have a desire to help them improve their people, processes and technology.
- A good understanding and grasp of the application of IT, both from a business system and technology perspective. An awareness of the operational structure required to deliver a good IT service.
Nice to have:
- A detailed background in one or more aspects of information technology is useful.
- Knowledge of prevailing trends, commercial acumen, and operating drivers across multiple sectors/ industries.
- A detailed understanding of the technical details, strengths and limitations of tech solutions.
- Qualifications in (for example, and not exhaustively): Risk, Change, Project or Programme Management, a CMI consulting qualification (or equivalent), Lean Six Sigma.
- A full UK driving license to facilitate client visits.
The Waterstons Perks
- As well as offering a competitive salary, we also have an attractive benefits package including:
- A healthy work life balance with flexible and agile working being the norm
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- Room to grow with supported development opportunities and sponsored training
- Enhanced family policies
- If you ever need it, company sick pay and life assurance
- Supported wellbeing with regular initiatives, an employee assistance program and private medical insurance
- Flexible benefits such as a dental scheme, eye care support, season ticket loan and cycle to work
We require a security check to be carried out on all colleagues due to the nature of some of our clients’ industries.
Waterstons is committed to creating and an inclusive, understanding, and flexible place to work. We value diversity, equality and inclusion and encourage everyone to 'bring their whole selves' to work. We believe that a company that works to truly embrace and value diversity, create an environment where everyone from any background can do their best work, and feel valued and appreciated is a better company to work for.
Waterstons are gathering the data in this application for the purpose of recruitment and to ensure we can contact you regarding this application. For information about what we do with your personal data see our Privacy Notice.