Location: Durham (Remote Working available)
Department: Bespoke Software
Contract Type: Permanent / Full Time
Salary: up to £50k + benefits
Job reference: 29/2021
We’re on a mission to help our customers build a better business. We have offices in the UK and Australia as well as a team of people who work across the globe to provide unique business solutions, service and support that directly adds value to our client’s business.
About the Software Delivery Lead role
You will be a confident lead in client engagements and apply great people leadership skills fused with technical understanding of software development and commercial awareness.
You will be a strong role model for others, leading through the creative, positive and focussed application of your skills.
This role requires excellent people skills, and you must have fantastic communication and relationship building skills. You will need to be able to apply these skills with your team members, clients, Waterstons staff and other third parties. You will need the ability to liaise effectively across all levels of stakeholders to ensure that projects and services are delivered effectively.
You have a strong background in complex engineering projects building bespoke software solutions rather than BAU platform maintenance or vendor management.
You will demonstrate your credibility in dealing with our clients through your technical experience and up to date knowledge of software development delivery, practices and technology.
You may not be hands-on right now however it's highly likely you have come from a development or digital agency position within recent years and still retain a keen interest in software development.
Responsibilities for the Software Delivery Lead-
- Support Software team members and lead in highly collaborative engagements delivering high quality, technically sophisticated solutions for our clients.
- Mentor, support, and act as team leader for a number of staff in the Software team (subject to experience - training will be provided to work towards this)
- You will ensure that the well-being people and teams are monitored and any issues are addressed by yourself and/or a suitable team leader
- To engage in business development activities to drive engagement from our clients, ensuring that we deliver excellent Software services to them.
- Work to deliver complex software projects from inception through to completion. This will include delivery management of one or more projects, overseeing all aspects of bespoke software development. Responsibilities will include planning, leading, organising and motivating small agile teams to achieve high level of performance. This may also include:
o Working with clients to understand working practices and project goals to enable you to gather and deliver requirements that will deliver a solution that is fit for purpose.
o Predict, monitor and action risks/issues with a view to managing appropriately for both the client and for Waterstons
o Where necessary, manage budget and any changes of scope/budget
o Resourcing of projects including acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-parties, in order to achieve the successful conclusion of projects
o Manage appropriate communication with stakeholders
o Deliver/facilitate training
o Engage with both the project delivery team and clients to assess feedback during project delivery, ensuring that this supports our cycle of continuous learning.
o Follow Waterstons standards to ensure that we are complying with our ISO 9001 and 27001 requirements.
- Consult for clients’ software delivery teams on good practices, application of agile principles and help identify areas for improvement.
- Engage in long term client relationship building and opportunity development, both as part of delivering Software services and where applicable as a Client Manager, Client Director or as part of a wider client team,
- Help support and drive continuous improvement programmes in the team, supporting our learning culture and quality mindset.
- Be an active participant in our recruitment and selection processes, helping the team find, hire and retain diverse, innovative and effective software development professionals.
- Ensure that Waterstons values are being upheld and be a shining example of embodying and living those values through your interaction with colleagues, clients, and our community.
Requirements for the Software Delivery Lead-
- Can exercise initiative, think innovatively, use problem-solving skills and make well-judged recommendations.
- You are a confident communicator with excellent influencing and negotiating skills, comfortable working with senior stakeholders to resolve problems as they emerge and ensure successful outcomes.
- Have a track record of successfully delivering bespoke software development solutions (both greenfield and brownfield) using pragmatic application of agile and waterfall development methodologies.
- Have a solid understanding of software development life cycle models and multiple agile development principles and practices. Have the ability to identify where the principles of these approaches are delivered well; and are able to educate others where needed.
- You are continuously learning and demonstrate curiosity and interest in your work. With rapidly evolving technology, you have a keen interest in the application of software technologies to solve significant business problems.
- Be driven to and preferably have experience of creating healthy, productive and ethical teams.
If you enjoy a varied environment, sharing your knowledge and experience to support, coach and mentor your colleagues, then we want to hear from you.
Your progression is important to us, and your career path is up to you. We commit to invest in our people and reward you for your commitment and effort.
This role will be based in Durham but most of your work can be carried out remotely. Travel to the office is limited but necessary. Currently we’re utilising technology to work remotely and continue our great work.
Waterstons are proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer, committed to drive forward diversity and inclusion & determined to speak up against discrimination.Waterstons will make any reasonable adjustments if you have a disability or special needs.
Privacy StatementWaterstons are gathering the data in this application for the purpose of recruitment and to ensure we can contact you regarding this application. For information about what we do with your personal data see our Privacy Notice.