We’re looking for the right person, not for specific backgrounds. You will have a passion for technology, a creative problem-solving skill set and a desire to grow with us.
We're an anti-discrimination employer and we’re committed to ensuring diversity and inclusivity. We won't discount someone based upon technical skills alone. We recruit people who are committed to our values-based approach and want to develop and prosper in a people first organisation.
Some of the skills we’re interested in include:
- You’ll need to have good team leadership skills - not necessarily line managing but nurturing and supporting junior team members.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage competing demands on time.
- You’ll be a strong team player and will like working as part of a close-knit team. You're the kind of person who enjoys having really good friends at work.
- You’ll understand your own strengths and weaknesses and are keen to work with others with complementary strengths and weaknesses.
- You’ll be happy to share responsibility for the success of the Waterstons Data team.
- You’ll have a keen eye for detail, you’re a doer who is focused on results.
- You’re happy and willing to help with projects that may not necessarily be your favourite.
- You’ll be ambitious, invested in your own future as well as the people around you.
An exceptional candidate may have:
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment.
- A good understanding of how being part of a consultancy environment may differ from being a member of an in-house team.
As a Senior Data Architect, you’ll be an integral part of a small, ambitious team that are looking to grow sustainably but quickly. If you’re passionate about data, have a desire to build something sustainable and exciting, want to work with a diverse group of people, then we'd love to hear from you.
Your progression is important to us and your career path is up to you. We commit to investing in our people and we'll do almost anything to make sure that the environment and culture we're building will support you to do your very best work and be the happiest you can be at work.
About the role
We’re not a typical IT or Consultancy organisation. We provide industry specific knowledge and expertise and shape the future for our clients, helping them to build better businesses.
The Data team currently work with several universities and charities, a distributor of frozen foods, a motorway services company and many other businesses.
You’ll be passionate, pragmatic and ready for a new challenge. It's far from your average job and you'll be working with a variety of our clients across the UK and beyond.
You’ll have experience in:
- Database technologies, ideally SQL. Querying, designing and building
- Working with ERP / CRM (or other business systems) to find and extract data
- Designing/building ETL pipelines (really any technology but we use SSIS / Azure Data Factory)
- Multi-dimensional and tabular data modeling
- Visualisation - we're not overly bothered about the tool, to be honest; we tend to recommend Power BI to our clients but we've worked with Tableau and Qlik too
- Project management at a smaller scale
- Gathering customer requirements and turning them into a plan for implementation
- Running training sessions on visualisation tools and/or data literacy
- Experience of master data management, data governance and data strategies is a bonus but not essential
As a member of the Data & Analytics team, you will need to be client facing. Responsibilities could include:
- Understanding and listening to our clients and delivering appropriate solutions which may include data exports, building data warehouses and developing reports
- Delivering projects in partnership with our clients
- Discussing wider data requirements and proposing suitable architectures
- Challenging clients and suggesting better ways to solve their problems with confidence
- Training small client teams in Power BI
- Demonstrating strong stakeholder management with leadership teams
We’re on a mission to help our customers build a better business. We have offices in the UK and Australia as well as a team of people who work across the globe to provide unique business solutions, service and support that directly adds value to our client’s business.
Speak to our people anywhere in the world and you will get a feel for our culture; the buzz of people who are doing work they’re passionate about and choosing their path. There’s no corporate mould to fit and hierarchy doesn’t get in the way. Everybody contributes and has the chance to get involved. We’re always looking for people to join us who are excited by unfamiliar challenges and enjoy collaborating with others. Our culture and values are fundamental to us and they inform and influence everything we do. Our people are empowered to make their own decisions and we’ll support where you need it.
We’re growing and you’ll find interesting people who measure success by what gets accomplished, not how many hours are worked. Your wellbeing is important to us and we believe family comes first. At Waterstons, we are committed to diversity and inclusion. We have a working group who are helping to raise the profile of equality, diversity and inclusion both internally and externally and we encourage applications from everyone. We’re community minded and work with local and national charities and initiatives to support and give back. We’re not perfect though and are always looking to see how we can develop our approach.
That’s why we’ve been awarded Gold Investors in People for a fourth consecutive time.
As well as offering a competitive salary, we also have an attractive benefits package including:
- A healthy work life balance with flexible and agile working being the norm
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- Room to grow with supported development opportunities and sponsored training
- Enhanced family policies
- Should you ever need it; company sick pay and life assurance
- Supported wellbeing with regular initiatives, an employee assistance programme and private medical insurance
- Company profit share scheme and purchase of shares available
Flexible benefits such as a dental scheme, eye care support, season ticket loan and a cycle to work scheme
Our Recruitment Process
We want to support all candidates to shine. Please tell us what you need to make this possible. We'll do all we can to make any adjustments that work for you.
Once you’ve applied, we'll be in touch to let you know whether we'd like to progress your application. Initially, we'll usually arrange a telephone conversation which will help us both assess if we’re a good fit for each other.
From there we'll arrange an interview which will cover both personal skills and professional abilities. We want to make sure you have a great experience with us, no matter the outcome, so we'll be keen to hear what you think of us too.
Job reference: 11/2020