About the role
We’re on the lookout for a Technology Consultant to join our unique service desk team, supporting our clients’ IT infrastructure on a day-to-day basis. We work with a wide variety of national and international customers, providing custom support services and technical escalation routes. As a Service Desk Technology Consultant, you’ll be our clients’ first point of contact and will own, manage and solve their technical problems.
We’re looking for someone with brilliant communication, listening and troubleshooting skills and you’ll thoroughly enjoy solving technical problems.
We’re looking for the right person, not just a specific background. Your passion for technology and problem solving is just as important as technical skills and knowledge.
Your progression is important to us and your career path is up to you. You could follow a service management, technology specialist or even business consulting direction. We quickly reward those who perform well. Continuous personal and professional development are also important to us, so you will be supported, guided and mentored every step of the way. You’ll not only continually develop and learn new skills, but will guide and mentor others too.
- You’ll be the first point of contact for our customers in need of technical support, which may be via email or phone. You’ll own, manage and resolve their problems.
- You’ll need to triage any tickets that come in to Waterstons, appropriately prioritising these so that they can be actioned according to need.
- Managing your own queue of tickets, you’ll take ownership of new tickets as and when you are able, ensuring the customer is communicated with and that issues are dealt with in a timely fashion.
- You’ll be responsible for recording your time when working on issues to enable accurate billing to clients.
- You’ll be in charge of troubleshooting issues that come in and liaising with colleagues and customers as required to resolve these in a timely fashion.
- You’ll continually look for opportunities to improve our customers businesses and add value through the use of technology.
- Working within a larger team you’ll provide a range of support from 1st to 3rd line, working remotely from the office, however there is some potential to spend time on site with our clients nationwide.
Skills & experience
- Experience in a 2nd/3rd line role is essential
- We typically expect A Levels or a Degree in an appropriate subject
- We’re looking for someone with acute attention to detail, who’s resilient and results oriented. An analytical thinker you’ll also be keen to keep on learning and developing new skills and use your initiative to solve problems.
- You’ll have great organisation, timekeeping and prioritisation skills
- You’ll be personable, customer focussed and have the ability to build relationships with customers and colleagues
Successful candidates will have experience in a broad range of technologies that we use every day in a support capacity – preferably with some industry standard accreditations to back this up and an understanding of server and desktop operating systems. Some of the areas that we look for are:
- Key Microsoft server roles (Active Directory, Exchange, Skype for Business, Windows Server, SQL, SharePoint, System Center)
- Experience of service desk and monitoring systems
- ITIL for service management
- Virtualisation technologies such as VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V
- SAN and Storage technologies including underlying fabric
- Backup/Replication Technologies such as Veeam
About us; we’re different
We’re a business and IT consultancy, on a mission to help our customers build a better business. Headquartered in Durham, with offices in London and Glasgow we’re passionate about working in partnership with our customers to provide them with unique business solutions, service and support that directly adds value to their business.
Our culture and values are super important to us and they inform and influence everything we do. Our ‘people first’ ethos means that we look after both our customers and our own people – who are empowered to make their own decisions, but are always supported. We don’t measure time, we measure achievements; that’s why we’ve been awarded Gold Investors in People for a fourth consecutive time.
As well as offering a competitive salary, we also have an attractive benefits package allowing you a great work-life balance and the opportunity to really develop your knowledge and skills, which includes:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- Company profit share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Opportunity to develop professional skills
- Support to gain industry standard qualifications
- Free parking at our Durham offices
- Season ticket travel loan
- And more…
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading IT and business consultancy firm, with an amazing people-focused culture and ambitious growth plans.
Job reference: 12/2019